Unlike previous versions of Excel, the menus in Excel XP initially list only the commands you have recently used. To view all options in each menu, click the double arrows at the bottom of the menu. If you would like to revert to the way older versions of Excel displayed menu options, follow these steps:
- Select View > Toolbars > Customize from the menu bar.
- Click on the Options tab.
- Uncheck the Menus show recently used commands first check box.
Many toolbars displaying shortcut buttons are available. Select View > Toolbars from the menu bar to select more toolbars.
Customizing toolbars allows you to delete certain shortcut buttons from a toolbar if you do not use them and add the shortcut buttons for commands you use often.
- Select View > Toolbars > Customize and select the Commands tab.
- By clicking on the command categories in the Categories box, the commands will change in the Commands box to the right.
- Select the command you would like to add to the toolbar by selecting it from the Commands box.
- Drag the command with the mouse to the desired location on the toolbar and release the mouse button. The shortcut button should now appear on the toolbar.
- Remove buttons from the toolbars by reversing these steps. Highlight the button on the toolbar, drag it off the toolbar with the mouse, and release the mouse button.