Word supplies many features for creating and editing different types of lists.
Bulleted and Numbered Lists
- Click the Bulleted List button or Numbered List button on the formatting toolbar.
- Type the first entry and press
. This will create a new bullet or number on the next line. If you want to start a new line without adding another bullet or number, hold down the key while pressing .
- Continue typing entries and press
twice when you are finished typing to end the list.
Use the Increase Indent and Decrease Indent buttons on the formatting toolbar to create lists of multiple levels.
Note: You can also type the text first, highlight the section, and then press the Bulleted List or Numbered List buttons to add the bullets or numbers.
To create a nested list, such as a numbered list inside of a bulleted list, follow these steps:
- First create the list and then increase the indentation of the items that
will make up the nested list by clicking the Increase Indent
button for each item.
- Highlight the items and click the Numbered List button on the formatting toolbar.
The bullet image or numbering format can be changed by using the Bullets and Numbering dialog box.
- Highlight the entire list to change all the bullets or numbers, or place the cursor on one line within the list to change a single bullet.
- Access the dialog box by selecting Format > Bullets and Numbering
from the menu bar or by right-clicking within the list and selecting
Bullets and Numbering from the shortcut menu.
- Select the list style from one of the seven choices given, or click the Picture... button to choose a different icon. Click the Numbered tab to choose a numbered list style.
- Click OK when finished.