The use of styles in Word will allow you to quickly format a document with a consistent and professional look. Paragraph and character styles can be saved for use in many documents.
Applying a Style
- Place the cursor in the paragraph where the style will be applied.
- Select a style using the Style menu in the Formatting toolbar.
- To apply the same style to multiple paragraphs, double-click
the Format Painter button
on the standard toolbar and click in all the paragraphs that the
style should be applied to. Press the
key to disable the Format Painter.
Apply a Style from the Style Task Pane
Choose from a larger selection of styles from the Style task pane.
- Click in the paragraph you want to add a style to.
- Select Format > Styles and Formatting from the menu bar.
- From the List menu, choose All styles to view all the styles available.
- The styles are displayed in the Styles list. The current style is outlined in the task pane. To apply a style to the currently selected text, simply click on the style name.
Create a New Style from a Model
To create a style from text that is already formatted in a document, follow these steps:
- Place the cursor in the paragraph you would like to set as a new style.
- Click once where the current style name is displayed in the formatting toolbar so that the
style name is highlighted.
- Delete the text in the field and type in the name of the new style.
- Press the
key to save the new style.
Create a Simple Style from the Style Dialog Box
- Select Format > Style... from the menu bar and click the
New button on the Style dialog box to access the
New Style dialog box.
- Type the name for the new style in the Name field.
- Select "Paragraph" or "Character" from the Style type menu.
- Click the Format button at the bottom of the window and choose the paragraph element that will be formatted for the style. Continue to make changes from the options from the Format button menu, making changes to the dialog boxes for each element you choose.
- Click OK to set the style and close the New Style dialog box.
- Click Apply on the Style dialog box to apply the new style to the current paragraph.
Modify or Rename a Style
An existing style can be changed from the Style dialog box.
- Select Format > Style... from the menu bar.
- Highlight the style from the Styles list that you want
to modify and click the Modify button.
- Use the same methods to modify the style from the Modify Style dialog box that were used for the New Style box.
- To simply rename the style, type a new name in the Name field.
- Click OK when you are finished making modifications.
Delete a Style
Preset styles created by Word cannot be deleted, but to delete a style you have made, follow these steps:
- Select Format > Style... from the menu bar
- Highlight the style from the Styles list that you want to delete.
- Click the Delete button.
- You will be asked if you really want to delete the style. Click Yes.
- Click Close.